They say that if you really want to know what a woman's like, look inside her handbag! So if yours is looking more Bridget Jones than Victoria Beckham and you've realised that it's time for a clear out and a clean up, here's how:
1. Empty out the contents, sort and throw away any rubbish, sponge down essential items that need to go back in your handbag, and shake out loose debris.
2. Pull the fabric lining out, if possible, and wipe with a damp sponge that's been rinsed in hot, soapy water.
3. Take care not to get real leather linings too wet at this stage.
4. If you're tackling stubborn marks, read our advice on how to remove ballpoint pen, ink and lipstick stains.
5. If your compact or foundation has exploded inside your bag, clean it as much as you can with kitchen towel. Don't wet it (you'll make it worse). Instead, use kitchen or bathroom cleaning wipes to carefully dissolve the foundation that's left – they work brilliantly! Finally, wipe the whole thing clean with a damp cloth.